Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Window Shopping

Ecclesiastes contains a little known proverb. “Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of desire” (Ecc 6:9).

When I was younger I loved to window shop. I was particularly interested in the crystal stemware and the beautiful fractured light reflected in the mirrors behind the glass shelves. I admired the diamonds, rubies, and emeralds under the jewelry counter and felt inspired by the statues and paintings in the furniture department.

But I had a quiet discontent arriving home. I had allowed my desires to wander away from God toward things.

I learned that absorbing God’s creation reminded me of his love and I allowed me to relish his presence.

I agree with the author of Ecclesiastes, “Better is sight of the eyes than the wandering of desire.”