Thursday, April 30, 2009

Rose Colored Glasses

When I was a child we used to have what is called a “testimony service” much like what we call a “worship service. People would stand and tell everyone something God had done for them.

A man in his early seventies would lament continually that we didn't worship like the church did in his younger days. I was about 16 years old when I stood during testimony service and read this verse out of Ecclesiastes. “Do not say, ‘Why were the former days better than these?’ for you do not inquire wisely concerning this.” To my recollection the man never complained in the same way again.

However, I have since noticed the same question tends to come into my head, “Why were the former days better than these?” The older we get the greater our tendency is to look back through distorted rose-colored glasses.

God has given us today to serve him. This is the day the Lord has made let us rejoice and be glad in it. Let’s stop looking backward and look up toward God instead.