Monday, February 2, 2009

Called to Peace

I experience depression, fear and anger after watching a national news broadcast. It used to be when the Dow Jones fell or stock markets plummeted, I did not pay much attention because it didn’t affect me. Then job layoffs began, store closures became increasingly common and fear spread like wildfire. I allowed it to grip my own heart.

Colossians tells us to “allow” the peace of God to rule in our hearts “to which you have also been called (Colossians 3:15). We choose where to focus our attention. If we focus it on the truth that God is directing our lives and that we live in his presence, we will experience peace. If we focus on the unjust behavior of CEOs and government officials, we will experience anger and turmoil.

The point is not to ignore or deny what is happening in our country, but to face it squarely and seek God for our rescue.

God has called us to peace and that call did not end in 2009 (Colossians 3:15).