Friday, February 6, 2009

Actions Speak Louder than Words

Brother Lawrence, who lived in the 1600s, once said he would not pick up a piece of paper except as an act of love for God. To some that may sound like an exaggeration at best and bondage at worst. But Brother Lawrence was expressing the discovery that he could worship God in the littlest acts, opening a new level of experiencing the love of God.

The Holy Spirit tells us in Colossians 3:17 that all that we do should be done for the glory of God. There is nothing that is exempt. Does that mean I am consciously aware that every breath of my lungs and every word from my mouth belongs to God?

I may not be aware at a given moment, but my attitude, my heart’s desire, the goal and purpose of my life is that all I say in “word or deed” is done in the name of the Lord. If picking up trash in a parking lot blesses others, then I will pick up trash. If opening the door for someone entering into a building at the same moment I approach blesses someone, then I open the door. If emptying the garbage in my home blesses my spouse, then I will empty the garbage.

If what I am about to speak would not please the Lord, then I have no business speaking it. If I am doing something that would not please the Lord, then I have no business doing it.

It is not being under the law. It is a heart condition of grace.