Thursday, January 31, 2013

Directed Yet Troubled

The fact that God creates in us the desire to do his will does not negate the fact that we experience effort or trouble. Paul is honest about the conflict he suffers to spread the gospel (Colossians 2:1). He writes to the people in Corinth,

"...far more imprisonments, with countless beatings, and often near death. Five times I received at the hands of the Jews forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches" (2 Corinthians 11:23-28)."

Jesus also expressed his troubled heart. "“Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name"(John 12:27-28). " And he took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be greatly distressed and troubled. And he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death. Remain here and watch"(Mark 14:23-24). Read Hebrews 5:7-8 to understand the emotions of what he was facing.

We are human, but God will never abandon us even when our emotions seem to betray us. As we practice laying our troubles at his feet and determine to trust him no matter what, the peace of God will guard our hearts in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7).