Friday, July 15, 2011

Do Want to Be Well?

Jesus asks the man beside the pool, “Do you wish to be made well?” It seems like an unusual question. Why would he not want to be well? Why would he be lying by that particular pool for so many years?

It is not as an unusual question as we might think. I heard of one person who did not want to be healed of back pain because the person would lose their SSI support. Some may not wish to be well because they would have to work for a living. Some work for cash under the table while collecting disability. Some continually complain of illnesses to get attention. There can be many motivations to remain sickly.

We think most of us want to be well. But then I remember how much unhealthy food we consume daily, how little we exercise, how little water we drink in a day and I have to ask myself. Do I honestly want to be well?

Perhaps my actions are speaking louder than my words.