Monday, April 4, 2011

Full Circle

The angels tell the women, “Go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead, and indeed he is going before you into Galilee; there you will see him. Behold, I have told you” (Mt 28:7). Mary Magdalene was still in such shock at not finding what she expected, the body of Jesus, that the angel’s words did not penetrate. She turns from the angels and sees Jesus standing there, but her shock prevents her from recognizing him. She assumes he is the gardener and pleads with him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away” (John 29:14-15).

Jesus calls her by name, “Mary”. There was no mistaking that voice. She knew who it was, “Rabi”. Then Jesus gave her the same commission as the angels, “…go to my brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my father and you father, and to my God and your God.’” Scripture tells us that Mary did just that.

It was a woman who committed the first sin (Genesis 3:6), and it was a woman to whom Jesus gave the first commission to bring the news of his resurrection.

Isn’t God’s forgiveness wonderful?