Friday, February 5, 2010

Walking in the Dark

“Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for You are with me” (Psalm 23:4). When I was young in the Lord, I thought that verse meant evil would never touch us. Life taught me how very wrong I was. Evil touches all of our lives because we live in an evil world (Daniel 12:10; Revelation 22:11).

The comfort in the promise is that God will be with us, will strengthen us, will give us wisdom and will maneuver things until his will for our lives is accomplished. We do not have to be afraid of evil that comes to us but remain confident that nothing can thwart God’s plan for our lives (Job 42:2).

It is called the valley of the "shadow" of death because what was meant to destroy us will in the end give us life (Genesis 45:5-8).